[R] lme funcion in R

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Aug 5 02:47:55 CEST 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 7:48 PM, Hongwei Dong wrote:

> Yeah, I have a very large sample size, about 60,000 observations.
> Multicollinearity should not be a problem here. The weird thing is
> that SPSS
> can converge very quickly and gives out reasonable results.
> The only problem I can think of is that, my first level (random)
> variables
> are dummy variables: 6 housing types, and I used five dummies in
> model and
> one as the reference. I also tried to combine them into two groups
> and use
> only dummy at random level, but it does not work either.
>
> is there any one here has similar experience with the LME function
> in R?

I have absolutely no experience with "LME" but I can predict with very
high probability that you would be getting more sensible result if you
modeled those housing types with a single factor variable rather than
creating 6 dummies. ((Would one generally not create a reference dummy?)

?factor

--
David.