[R] Oracle ODBC driver for Linux

Luis Ridao Cruz luisr at hav.fo
Tue Aug 4 17:42:21 CEST 2009

R-help,

I get the following error message when trying to connect to an Oracle database
through R (2.8.1) under Linux (Ubuntu 9.04).

> channel<-odbcConnect("magnus",uid="luisr",pwd="juanayzakarias")
Warning messages:
1: In odbcDriverConnect(st, ...) :
  [RODBC] ERROR: state IM002, code 0, message [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default driver specified
2: In odbcDriverConnect(st, ...) : ODBC connection failed

I connect to the Oracle database in the following way:
$ sqlplus username/password at myIPaddress/databaseName

Doing some googling I found a mail thread with the following code:

con<-odbcDriverConnect("SERVER=myIPaddress;DRIVER=oracle;DATABASE=databaseName")
Warning messages:
1: In odbcDriverConnect("SERVER=192.168.20.129;DRIVER=oracle;DATABASE=MAGNUS") :
  [RODBC] ERROR: state IM002, code 0, message [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default driver specified
2: In odbcDriverConnect("SERVER=192.168.20.129;DRIVER=oracle;DATABASE=MAGNUS") :
  ODBC connection failed

which it is not the correct syntax (I also need some help on this).
The problem is with the driver. It seems that the file "odbcinst.ini" contains the information
of the driver but mine is empty although I have already run the Oracle Universal Installer
to install the Oracle ODBC driver for linux.
In that same mail thread there are examples on how this file should look like but on this I would need also help
as there is no example on Oracle drivers (just MySql, PostgreSQLt)

Thanks in advance.