[R] What does this error message mean?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Aug 4 00:23:51 CEST 2009

On Aug 3, 2009, at 5:26 PM, Hongwei Dong wrote:

> Hi, I used R to run a linear regression and keep getting the
> following error
> message. I do not understand it very well. Anyone can help out?
> Thanks.
>
> Error in storage.mode(y) <- "double" :
>  invalid to change the storage mode of a factor
> In addition: Warning message:
> In model.response(mf, "numeric") :
>  using type="numeric" with a factor response will be ignored

Sometimes it is possble to intuit the meaning of error messages when
divorced from information about the function call and the nature of
the data that was given to the function, but I do not think this is
likely to be one of those occasions.

I suggest you read the Posting Guide more thoroughly and repost.

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT