[R] session logging

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Mon Aug 3 23:15:36 CEST 2009

Jacob,

As far as I am aware, the OSX GUI has no logging/transcript feature
per se, short of saving the console output to an external file.

The history file will, as you note, only contain the commands entered
at the R prompt, not the additional output.

One of the solutions would be to use an external editor, which
supports running an R session in such a fashion as to have the console
output directed to a buffer or frame within the editor, which then
itself can just be saved to a file.

There are a fair number of such options, but ESS (Emacs Speaks
Statistics) is common and the one that I have used for a number of
years, on Windows, then Linux and now OSX. ESS allows you to run an R
session within Emacs and thus be able to save the entire R buffer to a
file for future reference. Thus, you can have a complete transcript of
the session.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz