[R] Installing package for i386

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Aug 3 23:04:47 CEST 2009

On Aug 3, 2009, at 4:01 PM, Sarah Hawley wrote:

> I am trying to install a package from a collaborator that was given
> to me as
> a zip file.
> I'm running R 2.9.0 using Mac OSX 10.5.7
> [R.app GUI 1.28 (5395) i386-apple-darwin8.11.1]
>
> foo.zip contains all the usual package directories (man, R, R-ex, etc)
> After unzipping foo, I used the following commands.
>
> $ R CMD INSTALL foo
> * Installing to library ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/
> library’
> * Installing *binary* package ‘foo’ ...
> * DONE (foo)
>
> I open the R GUI and type
>> library(foo)
> Error: package 'flsa' is not installed for 'arch=i386'
>
> I assume this error has something to do with my Linux architecture
> but I
> have no idea what is really going on.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You are not using a Linux architecture. You are using a variant of BSD
Unix. That zip file (whatever its true name) was most likely designed
for a Windows installation. Why don't you be more forthright about the
name and lineage of the package and if reading the R Mac OS FAQ does
not point you to more reliable advice regarding installation, then
repost on the proper mailing list: