[R] lme funcion in R

Jason Morgan jwm-r-help at skepsi.net
Mon Aug 3 19:36:11 CEST 2009

On 2009.08.03 10:15:46, Hongwei Dong wrote:
> Hi, R users,
>   I'm using the "lme" function in R to estimate a 2 level mixed effects
> model, in which the size of the subject groups are different. It turned out
> that It takes forever for R to converge. I also tried the same thing in SPSS
> and SPSS can give the results out within 20 minutes. Anyone can give me some
> advice on the lme function in R, especially why R does not converge? Thanks.
>
> Harry

Hello Harry,

As Chuck mentions, providing some more information on the model and
the data you are using would be helpful. Also, be sure to compare the
optimization methods used in SPSS to that used in R. You can change
the optimization method in R if the default seems to be causing
issues. See help(lmeControl) for numerous setting options.

~Jason

--
Jason W. Morgan
Graduate Student