[R] selectively altering variable value

Jens Bölte boelte at psy.uni-muenster.de
Mon Aug 3 17:05:46 CEST 2009

Hello,

I have run an eye-tracking experiment for which I now like to analyse the saccades. Participants looked from a fixation cross (ia = 5) to the target area (ia = 4) in following example of a data frame. ia = 9 stands for everything else. A saccade is indicated by saccade = 1. Sometimes the saccade just ends before the target area (see below). This is due to the parameters that determine a saccade and a fixation and some measurement error (accuracy of the eyetracker). I like to include the first two no-saccades in a target area into the saccade. The simplest approach, at least to my knowledge, would be to replace the value saccade = 0 with saccade = 1 for the first two ia = 4 (see the example below). But that is beyond my rather limited knowledge in R.

My data frame is structured as follows (.... stands for multiple rows; just deleted for presentation purposes)

vp trial ia saccade (other columns deleted for presentation purposes)
1 1 5 0
1 1 5 0
1 1 5 0
1 1 5 1