[R] .... running JGR on a Linux/SuSE system

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Aug 3 10:03:46 CEST 2009

    BK> mauede at alice.it wrote:
    >> I wonder whether there is a more gentle way to stop an R
    >> script running on top of JGR aother than ... unplugging
    >> the power cord.

    BK> there must be a bug in JGR on Lunux. Clicking the stop
    BK> button should stop the script, clicking it here on my
    BK> linux machine will immediately crash R together with JGR
    BK> altogether. Unfortunately JGR still seems to be the best
    BK> (and only) available shell/editor combination available.

not at all!

How much is available depends on the platform,
but the first one that has been available for all platforms,
even before R existed, is
     ESS  ( http://ess.r-project.org/ ),
an acronym for "Emacs Speaks Statistics".

But there are quite a few others (I do not really know from
personal experience), see, e.g.,
all the projects (listed on the left hand side) of
    http://www.r-project.org/GUI

    BK> Bernd

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich