[R] Hierarchical Diagram of Networks in sna or otherwise?

jebyrnes byrnes at msi.ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 29 22:11:17 CEST 2009

I've been using sna to work with some networks, and am trying to visualize
them easily.  My networks are hierarchical (food webs).  All of the layout
engines I've tried with gplot don't seem to plot hierarchical networks, as
one would using dot from graphviz.  While I could do all of this by
outputting to dotfiles and running it through graphviz, the graphics I get
from R are much cleaner, and more easily integrated into my analyses.

Is there any good way to diagram a hierarchical network in R, either with
the sna library or otherwise?  It strikes me that at least the Netindices
package can calculate trophic levels.  Could this be used for node
placement?

-Jarrett