[R] Help with RExcel (running code)

benn fine bennfine at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 16:12:18 CEST 2009

Hello:

First, RExcel completely rocks! Hat tip to the development team.

However, I don't understand something very basic about it.

Suppose I put the following code in two cells and choose the Run Code option

plot(runif(20),runif(20))
text(.5,.5,"Hello")

I get the expected plot.

HOWEVER, if I put the following in a cell and hit Run Code, I get nothing.

runif(20)

HOWEVER, If I choose the  Get R Value command, and tell it to run runif(20), I
get the output I expect.

Am I doing something wrong, or just don't fully understand how the Run
Code Option works?

Actually, I don't get this at all-

try the following in a cell
cat("Hello")

ERROR message when you try the Get R Value

but the following works when you try the Get R Value
print("Hello")

Of course, neither of these commands work with the R Code option.

Any insights from the gurus out there?

Thanks!