[R] Memoria y Procesamiento

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Apr 28 00:40:40 CEST 2009

On Apr 27, 2009, at 9:02 AM, Mario Martinez wrote:

> (English)
> I seek information on the processing capacity of R. I understand it is
> possible to define 4Gb of memory capacity,

No.

> but I would like to know more
> unless you can have a maximum size database to work with it in R
> (rows and
> columns).
>
> Who can help me be extremely grateful.

The addressable memory will depend on the operating system. WinXP
under the best of circumstances may have 3.5 GB of capacity, whereas
Linux and Mac OS (Leopard with 64 bit binary from ATT site) will be
effectively constrained by your RAM budget. I am using about 1/2- 3/4
of my available8 GB memory when using a workspace that contains
multiple models (which consume 150-300 MB each)  and a primary working
dataframe that has 1.5 rows and 110 variables.

==
David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT