[R] Question of "Quantile Regression for Longitudinal Data"

Tirthankar Chakravarty tirthankar.chakravarty at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 13:35:54 CEST 2009

This is a nontrivial problem. This comes up often on the Statalist
(-qreg- is for  cross-section quantile regression):
"
You want to fit a plane through the origin using the L-1 norm.
This is not as easy as with L-2 norm (LS), as it is more
than a matter of dropping a constant predictor yet otherwise using the
same criterion of fit. You are placing another constraint on a
problem that already does not have a closed-form solution,
and it does not surprise me that -qreg- does not support this.
" (N.J. Cox)
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-10/msg00809.html

You will probably have to program this by hand. Note also the
degeneracy conditions in Koenker (2003, pg. 36--). I am not sure how
this extends to panel data though.