[R] Can't install package "glmnet"

Tobias Verbeke tobias.verbeke at telenet.be
Sat Apr 25 09:31:28 CEST 2009

Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Liang Zhang wrote:
>> I am just wondering how to solve this installation problem.
>
> As I said, ask your admin to install suitable compilers.

And 'suitable compilers' in this case means to install the
GNU compiler collection gcc 4.x.y.

Contrary to gcc 3.x.y (which only has a Fortran 77 compiler),
gcc 4.x.y has gfortran which is the GNU Fortran 95 compiler.

My guess is that your system currently only has gcc 3.x.y
and no gcc4 and friends.

HTH,
Tobias

P.S. Be sure to also install the appropriate libgfortran.