[R] stata ==> R - error messages

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Apr 24 13:42:47 CEST 2009

Jim Lemon wrote:
> Rob Bakker wrote:
>> Dear Sirs,
>> I am just starting with R and I think it is a great system. Now, I
>> want to
>> import Stata datasets (.dta) with read.dta, but receive errormessages
>> like:
>>
>> Error in grep("^(http|ftp|https)://", file) : object "Rklein" not found
>>
>> Error in read.dta("Rklein") :
>>   unable to open file: 'No such file or directory'
>> this happens when I use ""
>>
>> What is the problem and how can I solve it?
>>
> Hi Rob,
> Looks like you're on Windows, and you have probably fallen victim to the
> Microsoft  (and Apple) "hide-everything-you-can-from-them" file manager
> defaults. Your file "Rklein" probably has an extension on it (maybe
> .dta?) and if you can find that by turning off extension hiding, you
> will probably see the solution immediately.
>
> Jim

Also, notice the function choose.file() which lets browse your way to
the file in the usual Windows style. If used on its own, then it returns
the full path to the file, so that you know what to feed to read.dta().

You can short-circuit by using read.dta(choose.file()), but if you do it
in a script, then you need to do the browsing every time you run the
script.