[R] Terminology: Multiple Regression versus multivariate Reg

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Apr 24 11:27:08 CEST 2009

(Ted Harding) wrote:

> There is an unfortunate (in my view) tendency for people to use
> "multivariate regression" whden talking about what I call "multiple
> regression" above (i.e. more than 1 independent variable). I think
> this should be reserved for regression where the left-hand side is
> multivariate.
>
> But maybe I'm in a minority ...

If so, a minority of at least two...

Part of the problem is that people will often (for better or worse)
screen a set of predictors by "univariate regression", which should
probably be the rather less catchy "single-predictor regression". (As
far as I remember, SPSS, "canonicalizes" the term in its menu system.)