[R] Help with for/if loop

Giggles_Fairy giggles_fairy16 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 24 02:07:33 CEST 2009

I have a set of data that includes various data columns. One if the survival
time and another if a continuous variable of ages. I want to put the ages
into intervals so that I can then perform the Kalpan Meier test. I am trying
to use the following code to build a column with the age group numbers in

agecatagory<-c( )
for (i in 1:137)
{
{
if(age[i]<=46)  {agecat[i]<-1}
if(age[i]>46 & age[i]<= 58) {agecat[i]<-2}
if(age[i]>58) {agecat[i]<-3}
}
agecatagory<-c(agecatagory, agecat[i])
}

I have been getting various errors for various things and have finally got
it so that only one error comes up
Error in if (age[i] <= 46) { : missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed

Could anyone pleaseeeeeee shed some light on this for me and tell em where I
am going wrong. I am sure it is just a minor thing but I cant for the life
of me figure it out!

Your replies will be very much appreciated!

Hollie