[R] Adobe FLEX interacting with R for rich visualization over the Web

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Apr 23 16:59:12 CEST 2009

Harsh wrote on 04/23/2009 09:49 AM:
> Hi R users,
> I am looking to create a rich internet application using R as the
> analytical back-end with a GUI written entirely in Adobe FLEX.
> I have come across this paper
> http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.3/bioc/vignettes/RWebServices/inst/doc/RelatedWork.pdf
> which provides relevant information.
>
>>From what I understand, FLEX can read xml files. The StatDataML
> library in R creates xml files which can be read by FLEX. Since I
> would need to implement the GUI on a web server and the R server would
> be on a different system, I felt using StatDataML to write xml files
> would be the best approach.
>
> I have also heard of the RSOAP library which possibly can be another
> alternative to the above library.
>
> I am trying to create a way for users to be able to visualize the
> results of regressions and other statistical functions in an
> interactive manner over the web.
>
> If anyone has worked with the above tools or related scenarios, I
> would greatly appreciate your feedback.

You will be interested in the following links then:

http://blog.revolution-computing.com/2009/04/find-a-safer-place-in-the-bay-area.html
http://blog.revolution-computing.com/2009/04/comparing-baseball-pitcher-styles-with-lattice-graphics.html

They provide examples of building web dashboards with R, which probably
falls in the category of rich internet applications.

Best,

Jeff

--
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/JeffreyHorner