[R] R-User groups in North America (SF, LA, NYC, Ottawa)

Michael E. Driscoll mike at dataspora.com
Wed Apr 22 21:01:03 CEST 2009

Hi R folks,

I'd like to announce several new R users groups here in SF, LA, NYC,
and Ottawa - as well as their next scheduled event.  The goal of these
user groups, besides gently explaining 'drop=TRUE' to the uninitiated,
is to exchange knowledge, promote best practices, and spur the
adoption of R for innovative applications.  If I've missed any groups
here, please feel to add on to this message!

Los Angeles
  http://www.meetup.com/LAarea-R-usergroup/ (79 members)
  May 7th Event: "Four case studies of using R" at 7pm, Boelter Hall, UCLA
  Presenters:  J. Leeuw, R. Gould, & B. Brett-Esborn (UCLA), S. Pafka (Epoch)
  Organized by Szilard Pafka <spafka at gmail com>

San Francisco / Bay Area
  http://www.meetup.com/R-Users (228 members)
  May 13th Event:  Parallel Computing with R using ParallelR at Microsoft SF HQ
  Presenter:  David M Smith (Revolutions Computing)
  Organized by Jim Porzak <jporzak at tgn com> and yours truly

New York City
  http://www.meetup.com/LAarea-R-usergroup/ (61 members)
  Organized by Joshua Reich <josh at i2pi com>

Ottawa
  https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-ug-ottawa
  Organized by John Nash <nashjc at uottawa ca>

University of Oregon
  http://www.fsl.orst.edu/R_users - (unknown if currently active)
  Kenneth B. Pierce Jr.
  ken.pierce <at> oregonstate edu

Houston:
  Coming Soon

We've approached Friedrich Leisch about listing these R Users Groups
somewhere on the R-Project page.  For now, David Smith is kindly
maintaining a page at:

  http://blog.revolution-computing.com/local-r-groups.html

best regards,

Michael E. Driscoll, Ph.D.
Co-Chair, Bay Area R Users Group

(juice for the R search bot:  R user group, RUG, R-UG, R interest
group, R Meetup, R group)