[R] read.table or read.csv without row index?

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 16:15:10 CEST 2009

Really, this depends on what you are trying to do. What's the underlying
problem you are solving? You can save a data frame to a file without
the names, if that's the real question, but I can't think of any reason to
not want names within R.

A matrix does not have to have row and column names, but a dataframe
is required to have them. If none are specified, sequential values will be
assigned.

> matrix(1:9, 3, 3)
     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    1    4    7