[R] Question on binomial data

ehud cohen ehudco.list at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 23:31:45 CEST 2009

I thought of testing the difference in deviance between the null model
and the fitted model, assuming it is distributed as chi-sq. However,
Faraway writes that if the outcome is binary, the deviance
distribution is far from chisq.
I've done a permutation test:

N<-5000; # Towards the upper limit, as there are only 17 over 5 =
6,188 combination of the T/F data I have..
dev<-rep(0,N);
for (i in 1:N) {
	l1<-glm(sample(p)~w,family=binomial);
	dev[i]<-l1$dev;
}
print(mean(dev<l$dev))

and the outcome is 0.005 - which is close to the ttest.

I've repeated the same with calculating the statistics on the z-value
in summary(l1) each time instead of the deviance, and got a comparable
result.

I think it means that David is right, the Pr(>|z|) in glm output does
not mean much. I still don't know what does it mean.

Regarding your suggestion of using car's Anova:

> Anova(l)
Anova Table (Type II tests)

Response: p
  LR Chisq Df Pr(>Chisq)
w   9.4008  1   0.002169 **

which is identical to:

pchisq(l$null.deviance-l$dev,1,lower=F)

which seems to be too low - which is probably due to the binary response.

would you think the permutation method is appropriate to use in this
case? and extended also to a case with several covariates?