[R] joined R-today

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Apr 21 16:43:34 CEST 2009

On Apr 21, 2009, at 9:28 AM, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Bala subramanian wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I tried to install from four different mirrors. The result is the
>> same. I
>> dnt understand what the following error means.
>> /usr/lib/R/library/ncdf/libs/ncdf.so: cannot restore segment prot
>> after
>> reloc: Permission denied
>> Error in library(ncdf) : .First.lib failed for 'ncdf'
>>
>> I even tried to change the permission of ncdf.so but still i am not
>> able to
>> load the library.
>

> Nothing to do with the download. I think SElinux is getting in your
> way
> (so your unstated system could be RedHat Enterprise Linux?).
>
> Contact your sysadm or google for the error message.
>
> (One of the hits suggests that you might need to run
>
> chcon -t texrel_shlib_t ncdf.so
>
> but, well, no warranties...)

The OP did indicate that F10 was the platform:

   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/attachments/20090421/65ee5d6e/attachment.pl

so I would agree here that SELinux is almost certainly the culprit as
it does control relocation.

If you have the SE Troubleshoot daemon running, you should get a
yellow star/badge symbol on one of your desktop dock panels.
Typically, if you click on this, it will bring up a dialog window that
will have some specific suggestions for resolving the problem. You can
see some visual examples here:

   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design/SETroubleshootUsabilityImprovements

More info on SETroubleshoot here:

   https://fedorahosted.org/setroubleshoot/