[R] Re : PCA and automatic determination of the number of components

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Mon Apr 20 14:08:31 CEST 2009

justin bem <justin_bem <at> yahoo.fr> writes:

> See ade4 or mva package.
>  Justin BEM
> BP 1917 Yaoundé

I guess the problem was not to find PCA (which is easy to find), but
 finding an automatic method of selecting ("determining" sounds like
that selection would be correct in some objective sense) numbers of
components to be retained. I thin neither ade4 nor mva give much support
here (in particular the latter which does not exist any more).

The usual place to look at is multivariate task view:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Multivariate.html

Under the heading "Projection methods" and there under
"Principal components" the taskview mentions packages
nFactors and paran that help in selecting the number
of components to retain.

Are these Task Views really so invisible in R that people don't find
them? Usually they are the first place to look at when you need
something you don't have. In statistics, I mean. If they are invisible,
could they be made more visible?

Cheers, Jari Oksanen