[R] Modelling an "incomplete Poisson" distribution ?

Emmanuel Charpentier charpent at bacbuc.dyndns.org
Sat Apr 18 21:12:26 CEST 2009

I forgot to add that yes, I've done my homework, and that it seems to me
that answers pointing to zero-inflated Poisson (and negative binomial)
are irrelevant ; I do not have a mixture of distributions but only part
of one distribution, or, if you'll have it, a "zero-deflated Poisson".

An answer by Brian Ripley
(http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02/archive/11029.html) to a similar
question leaves me a bit dismayed : if it is easy to compute the
probability function of this zero-deflated RV (off the top of my head,
Pr(X=x)=e^-lambda.lambda^x/(x!.(1-e^-lambda))), and if I think that I'm
(still) able to use optim to ML-estimate lambda, using this to
(correctly) model my problem set and test it amounts to re-writing some
(large) part of glm. Furthermore, I'd be a bit embarrassed to test it
cleanly (i. e. justifiably) : out of the top of my head, only the
likelihood ration test seems readily applicable to my problem. Testing
contrasts in my covariates ... hum !

So if someone has written something to that effect, I'd be awfully glad
to use it. A not-so-cursory look at the existing packages did not ring
any bells to my (admittedly untrained) ears...

Of course, I could also bootstrap the damn thing and study the
distribution of my contrasts. I'd still been hard pressed to formally
test hypotheses on factors...

Any ideas ?

					Emmanuel Charpentier