[R] R on Windows and RMySQL

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Apr 17 18:26:10 CEST 2009

On 4/17/2009 6:48 AM, silv at access.unizh.ch wrote:

> I have successfully installed R (version 2.8.1) and RMySQL (version 0.7-4)
> on my PC (Windows). Now I have a problem running RMySQL on R. I constantly
> receive the following error-message:
>
> Error in utils::readRegistry("SOFTWARE\\MySQL AB", hive = "HLM", maxdepth =
> 2) :
>    Registry-Schlüssel 'S' nicht gefunden
> Error : .onLoad in 'loadNamespace' für 'RMySQL' fehlgeschlagen
> Fehler: Laden von Paket/Namensraum für 'RMySQL' fehlgeschlagen
>
> Does anyone have a clue what I should do? I don`t have any experience in
> such issues. I have not installed MySQL on my PC. Could this be the solution
> to my problem? Is it true that RMySQL does work properly on R only if you
> first install MySQL?

That's what it looks like.  I'm not sure why it is reporting 'S' as a
problem, but when I execute that line I see

 > readRegistry("SOFTWARE\\MySQL AB", hive = "HLM", maxdepth = 2)
$`MySQL Server 5.0`
$`MySQL Server 5.0`$Location
[1] "F:\\Program Files\\MySQL\\MySQL Server 5.0\\"

$`MySQL Server 5.0`$Version
[1] "5.0.22"

and when I change the key to a nonexistent one I see

 > readRegistry("SOFTWARE\\foobar", hive = "HLM", maxdepth = 2)
Error in readRegistry("SOFTWARE\\foobar", hive = "HLM", maxdepth = 2) :
   Registry key 'S' not found

I'll take a look at readRegistry and try to improve the error message.

Duncan Murdoch