[R] "utils" lacking namespace?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Apr 15 12:20:27 CEST 2009

Gustaf Rydevik wrote:
> Hi all,
> A colleague of mine tried to install the package EMV, which had been
> removed from CRAN.
> she ran into some kind of trouble, R locked up, and she closed the program.
> Now when she starts R, "utils" can't be loaded which of course create
> an unworkable environment.
> Below I've copy-pasted the error message she gets when starting R.
> Any ideas on what went wrong, and more importantly, how to fix it?

No idea of the details of what went wrong, but it looks as though your
colleague has some bad startup file (Renviron, Rprofile, etc; see
?Startup for the full list) or has actually damaged her R installation.
I'd try re-installing it first, because that's easy, then work through
?Startup and see if there are some bad files or environment variables
messing things up.

Duncan Murdoch