[R] Controlling widths in write.fwf()

Brendan Morse morse.brendan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 02:34:38 CEST 2009

Hi Aparna, you could always use the write.table function and set
sep="". This will put all of your data into a sort of "fixed-width"
column depending on what you specify to separate the values. See basic
example below:

x<-matrix(nrow=2, ncol=2, c(1,2,3,4))
write.table(x, "/Users/morse07/Desktop/x.txt", sep="",
col.names=FALSE, row.names=FALSE)

Note that any spaces you insert between the "" after the sep command
will insert 1 fixed-width column per space in your file.

Hope that helps,
Brendan