[R] MLE for bimodal distribution

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Apr 8 22:11:48 CEST 2009

The problem is that fitting mixtures models is hard -- (non)identifiability
is a serious problem: very large sample sizes may be necessary to clearly
distinguish the modes. As V&R say in MASS, 4th edition, p. 320: " ...
fitting normal mixtures is a difficult problem, and the results obtained are
often heavily dependent on the initial configuration ([i.e. starting values.
BG] supplied"

The EM algorithm is quite commonly used: you might have a look at em() and
related functions in the mclust package if Ben's straightforward approach
fails to do the job for you. No guarantee em will work either, of course.

-- Bert

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
650-467-7374