[R] Constrained, multiple response statistics

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Wed Apr 8 01:10:39 CEST 2009

R'ers:

    I was hoping I could get some direction on this.  I have a dataset
of the form:

Y1,Y2,...,YM = f(X1,X2,...,XN), where N is >>> M

The response data (Y1,Y2,...,YM) is frequency data, such that the sum of
all Yi = 1.0.  Both Xj and Yi are continuous variables.

I'm trying to figure out the best approach(es) to solving for the model
f() -- any ideas?  I could solve each Y one at a time, but the lack of
constraint worries me, and I'm pretty sure that normalizing the data
afterwards to sum to 1.0 is not going to work out properly.  Thoughts?
I've never worked with multiple response statistics before, so I'm
mostly trying to get some pointers on where to begin investigating...

--j

--

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Postdoctoral Scholar