[R] parse_Rd() Version 2 on Japanese Vista 32 (encoding problems)

Ken-JP kfmfe04 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 07:14:38 CEST 2009

Hi,

I need some help with 2.9.0 parse_Rd() Version 2 changes.  I read the .pdf
file and some posts on r-help, but after playing with this for several
hours, I can't seem to get around this UTF-8 problem.

- I'm trying to get rid of some warnings during R CMD Check for R 2.9.0Alpha
on Japanese Vista 32
- The same setup on a R 2.9.0Alpha English XP Pro 32 works fine without any
modification.
- I just have ASCII text in my .Rd files.  I don't need/intend to put any
CJK characters in the files.

Any ideas on how to eliminate the warnings would be greatly appreciated.

- Ken

Running R CMD Check:

* checking Rd files against version 2 parser ... WARNING
Warning in parse_Rd("./man/myfile.Rd", encoding = "unknown") :
  non-UTF-8 multibyte locales are not supported -- reencoding to UTF-8
*** error on file ./man/myfile.Rd
Error in iconv(lines, enc, encoding, sub = "byte") :
  invalid 'from' argument

So I tried to "cheat" by prepending:

\encoding{UTF-8}

at the top of myfile.Rd - this almost worked.  The error went away, but now,
I'm getting a flood of:

Warning in grep("^[[:blank:]]*\n?$", x, perl = TRUE) :
  perl = TRUE is only fully implemented in UTF-8 locales