[R] Boxplots in Barplots

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Apr 6 20:02:44 CEST 2009

Well, the symbols function will add boxplots to an existing plot wherever you want.  But, you should really consider what question(s) your are trying to answer.  As a general rule, adding things to a barplot will do more to distort the barplot than add additional information.  If the boxplot contains the info you need, why even use the barplot?  If you need the barplot, why add to it?  Maybe a different plot would better be able to answer the question(s) of interest, but you need to be clear (at least to yourself) what the question(s) is/are.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org