[R] Constrined dependent optimization.

Hans W. Borchers hwborchers at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 4 14:46:47 CEST 2009

Just in case you are still interested in theoretical aspects:

In combinatorial optimization, the problem you describe is known as the
Quadratic (Sum) Assignment Problem (QAP or QSAP) and is well known to
arise in facility and warehouse layouts. The task itself is considered
hard, comparable to the Traveling Salesman Problem (TSP).

I would clearly advise to turn to some specialized commercial software
for solving it, otherwise you will very likely get stuck in suboptimal
solutions miles away from the true optimum. And for a real commercial
situation this may be disastrous.

Regards,  Hans Werner

P.S.:   See for instance Cela: The Quadratic Assignment Problem. Theory
and Algorithms, Springer, 2000.  (Partly available at books.google.com)