[R] [OT ?] rant (was : Re: Conversions From standard to metricunits)

Berwin A Turlach berwin at maths.uwa.edu.au
Sat Apr 4 05:55:32 CEST 2009

G'day Murray,

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 20:01:30 -0400
"Murray Cooper" <myrmail at earthlink.net> wrote:

> For science yes. For pleasure I'll still take a pint instead of 570ml!

And you might experience a disappointment then if you order it in the
US where the pint is apparently 450ml; at least, I won several bets
on whether a pint is less or more than half a litre against American
visitors....  The stake being, of course, the next round of drinks. :)

And, if memory serves correctly, here in Singapore I once ordered a
pint of draught beer and was served half a litre...  Confused me
completely...  That's when I thought that the metric system is so much
safer until I ordered my next beer, according to the menu a bottled
beer of 400ml, it came in a 333ml bottle...

Cheers,

	Berwin

Berwin A Turlach                            Tel.: +65 6515 4416 (secr)
Dept of Statistics and Applied Probability        +65 6515 6650 (self)
Faculty of Science                          FAX : +65 6872 3919
National University of Singapore
6 Science Drive 2, Blk S16, Level 7          e-mail: statba at nus.edu.sg
Singapore 117546                    http://www.stat.nus.edu.sg/~statba