[R] Programming objects in R

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Apr 2 15:40:17 CEST 2009

Tom Backer Johnsen <backer at psych.uib.no> writes:

> This is interesting.  The fact that there are so few texts on the
> subject probably means that very few are using OO programming methods
> in R.

Using python is great; your deduction about use of OO in R harder to
support. The Bioconductor project (300+ packages, not all with strong
OO components) makes extensive use of S4, as does the Matrix
recommended package, for instance; S4 really opens the door to more
complex OO approaches, but a very large number of packages use OO
concepts under the S3 object system.

Martin

--
Martin Morgan