[R] Programming objects in R

Wacek Kusnierczyk Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no
Thu Apr 2 15:36:46 CEST 2009

Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
> This is interesting.  The fact that there are so few texts on the
> subject probably means that very few are using OO programming methods
> in R.
>
> I will probably look in the Python direction.  Pity.  I would have
> preferred R.

if you insist on oo, python might be a better choice.  r has two
built-in oo systems plus a few additional ones in various packages.

of the two basic ones, s3 is simple to use though some features may
confuse you;  in his The R Inferno [1], Pat Burns calls this system 'a
bit ad hoc'.

the other, s4, is much more complex, probably too complex for its own
developers.  additionally, s3 and s4 intefere with each other in ugly
ways, as some recent posts show.  here's one opinion:

    library(fortunes)
    fortune('handcuff')

if you really have to stay with r, R.oo, for example, might be an
alternative.

you can always access r from within python when statistic computations
are needed, while staying in the cosy realm of a much more coherent
programming language.

vQ

[1] http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/R_inferno.pdf