[R] discriminant analyse

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Thu Apr 2 11:50:16 CEST 2009

Benedikt Niesterok wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I would like to carry out a discriminant analyse.I have two variables:
> eye diameter and body length.
> I have values for different areas and would like to separate those areas from each other according to the variables.
> Taking the raw data returns a cloud of points.The areas don't seem to differ;so I made length groups and took the mean eye diameter for each length group.I roughly got linear functions.
> The question is:
> Can I carry out something like a discriminant analyse for those lines,too?
> Or does anyone know other statistical methods for separating those areas?
> (the data aren't unfortunately normally distributed, so an ANOVA shouldn't
> be the right way).
> Many thanks,
> Ben

If you don't get an answer from the list, there is no reason to send the
same question again (like in this case). You probably should be much
clearer with your question and probably provide some example data and
code you have used so far - as the posting guide suggests.
At least I have no idea what the discriminant analysis is supposed to do
  in your case.

Uwe Ligges