[R] Recommended packages for a statistician

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Apr 2 10:47:50 CEST 2009

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Eamonn O'Brien wrote:

> The company I work for require users to request what packages they want from
> the IT department (user cannot download themselves). I intend to request
> installation of the latest version of R plus the 23 Cran task views. As a
> statistician what are the recommended packages or packages that
> statisticians using R recommend to install. I have started a new position
> and want to (greedily) get everything that I may or may not use as I want to
> avoid multiple requests to our IT dept.
> Thanks

I haven't seen a response, so I will make a start.

It all depends on the area you are in, and the sort of work you do. If you
are in finance, you will likely require different packages than if you are
in biostat or whatever. There are no clues in your email, not even an
informative address or signature.

There are a few general packages that you might consider though: Frank
Harrell's packages; ggplot2 for graphics; a bootstrap package; depending
on the users maybe a gui package such as Rcmdr ...
There are around 2000 packages now I believe.

David Scott
David Scott	Department of Statistics
 		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
 		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055		Fax: +64 9 373 7018
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics
Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics