[R] adjusting textsize and spacing in mosaic (vcd package)

Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk
Mon Sep 29 18:01:54 CEST 2008

> I'm trying to find a way to change the font size in a mosaic plot (the
> grid version, not the base graphics one).
>
> Here's an example to demonstrate:
> #Basic plot
> library(vcd)
> mosaic(HairEyeColor, shade = TRUE)
>
> #Bad first guess: this stops the default cell colouring, and doesn't
> change the font size
> mosaic(HairEyeColor, shade = TRUE, gp=gpar(fontsize=16))
>
> #This successfully changes most of the text sizes, but not the numbers
on
> the legend scale
> mosaic(HairEyeColor, shade = TRUE,
>    labeling_args=list(gp_labels=gpar(fontsize=16),
>       gp_varnames=gpar(fontsize=18)),
>    legend_args=list(fontsize=16),
>    margins=unit(4, "lines"),
>    legend_width=unit(7, "lines"))
>
> How do I change the size of the text on the legend scale?
>
> Also, is there a way to change all the font sizes at once?

For mailing list posterity, the workaround that was sent to me off-list is
to set the pointsize argument on the device, for example:

windows(pointsize=16)
mosaic(HairEyeColor, shade = TRUE)

Interestingly, this appears to only change the legend scale fontsize, and
ignore the other text.

Regards,
Richie.

Mathematical Sciences Unit