[R] ariable Importance Measure in Package RandomForest

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sun Sep 28 20:06:46 CEST 2008

Given you do not want to touch the randomForest implementation itself,
the answer is "no, there is no particular function to do it in package
randomForest. More particular:

?randomForest tells us that a value "importance" is returned that is `a
matrix with nclass + 2 (for classification) or two (for regression)
columns. For classification, the first nclass columns are the
class-specific measures computed as mean descrease in accuracy. The
nclass + 1st column is the mean descrease in accuracy over all classes.
The last column is the mean decrease in Gini index. For Regression, the
first column is the mean decrease in accuracy and the second the mean
decrease in MSE. If importance=FALSE, the last measure is still returned
as a vector.'

So as far as I can see, you would have to change randomForest itself
that has to return some relevant values in order to calculate the
criterion(s) you are interested in.

Best wishes,
Uwe Ligges