[R] R on Mandriva

Paul Bivand paul.bivand at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 20:39:52 CEST 2008

Dear Abdel

The Mandriva repositories seem to have only 18 packages in the Contrib
repositories. These seem to be dependencies of various GUI flavours
(the repositories include rattle, Rcmdr (as R-cran-Rcmdr) and the
non-CRAN rkward.

Beyond that, yes you require the build tools. You should have gcc
already, but the fortran compiler needs adding from repositories, as
does a range of devel rpms. From memory, these include those for the
X-server as well as readLine. Other failures exist, as well as
warnings (you can build R without Cairo or tcl/tk, but you lose
capabilities).

The R documentation is good on the programs you will need to build R -
and the issue about *devel rpms is similar to Fedora, as far as I
know.Read this manual section
http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Essential-and-useful-other-programs-under-Unix
for a necessary guide.

Paul Bivand
Head of Analysis and Statistics
Direct Line: 020 7840 8335

Inclusion has a launched a new website, please visit: www.cesi.org.uk

Inclusion
3rd floor, 89 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TP
Tel: 020 7582 7221
Fax: 020 7582 6391
Inclusion website: www.cesi.org.uk

Consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are intended solely
for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient
please return the e-mail to the sender and delete from your mailbox.

The Centre for Economic & Social Inclusion is a company limited by
guarantee. Registered in England & Wales number 2458694. Registered
address: 89 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TP