[R] Bug in "is" ?

Michael A. Miller mmiller3 at iupui.edu
Fri Sep 26 17:53:05 CEST 2008

    > but it does seem to be a wrong decision for a language
    > focused mostly with statistical computations and not
    > computer science concerned with how to represent an
    > integer.

The key word here is "computations."  And after reading this
briefly interesting and then increasingly depressing thread, I
can't help but note that it does seem wrong that people who don't
understand the nature and limits of computation get worked up
about design choices made by people who do understand it.  It is
as if someone went to a discussion of composing music and
complained that the composers aught not be using notes.  This
sort of inexpert commentary is typical in all fields and is an
inevitable result in open discussions.  If this is intentional
trolling, we just need to avoid fanning the flames - they'll go
away eventually.

-M