[R] Please help me interpret these results (fitting distributions to real data)

Ted Byers r.ted.byers at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 23:35:10 CEST 2008

I just thought of a useful metaphore for the problem I face.  I am dealing
with a problem in business finance, with two kinds of related events.
However, imagine you have a known amount of carbon (so many kilograms), but
you do not know what fraction is C14 (and thus radioactive).  Only the C14
will give decay events (and once that event has occurred, the atom that
decayed will never decay again).  C12 will never decay.  What you want to
know is a) what is the ratio of C12 to C14 at time 0, and b) how many decay
events will happen between time X and time y, or how many decay events will
happen after time z.  That integral, is, IIRC, quite simple.

The data you get from your equipment will be a number of decay events in
time period n (could be a specific week or a specific day).  How would you
get this data into R so that you can use, say, fitdistr(MASS) to estimate
the decay rate, and then proceed to answer the questions of interest?

Anyway, in my early tests (before I figured out which distribution is most
appropriate in this case), I got the following results (this is for one
week's data, but other weeks' result are similar).