[R] Creating a Legend

baptiste auguie ba208 at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Sep 25 11:47:38 CEST 2008

Hi,

I think you want the following,

df <- data.frame(x=rnorm(100), y=rnorm(100))
plot(df)
legend("topright", title="Land Use Type", cex=0.75, pch=16,
		col=c("red", "green"),legend=c("Urban", "green"), ncol=2)

I could not find a way to have a different text size for the title,
but it's easy to do in lattice or ggplot2.

Baptiste

On 23 Sep 2008, at 17:56, Steve Murray wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to create a legend for my graph. I hope to have the title
> as "Land Use Type" and the two elements being "Urban" and "Rural"
> with a red point and green point respectively. So far I have the
> following command, but obviously it isn't correct:
>
>> legend("topright", title="Land Use Type", cex=0.75, pch=16,
>> col="red","Urban"&"green","Rural", ncol=2)
>

> As you can see, I'm a bit confused as to how to deal with the point
> colours and associated text.
>
> Also, how would I make the associated text ("Urban" and "Rural")
> smaller than the title?
>

> Many thanks for any suggestions!
>
> Steve

Baptiste Auguié