[R] Generating series of distributions with the same skewness and different kurtosis or with same kurtosis and different skewness?

Yihui Xie xieyihui at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 07:25:03 CEST 2008

Well, let's take the Beta distribution for example. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_distribution for the formulae of
skewness and kurtosis. We can fix the skewness at, say, 2 and let
alpha = 1, then solve beta from the equation of "skewness = 2", you
will get beta =
1.8164966 or 0.1835034 approximately. Then you may compute the
kurtosis and find different beta values will lead to different
kurtosis values (-0.7315651 and 2.139547 respectively). Is this
example clear enough? Only need a little bit mathematical computation.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>
Phone: +86-(0)10-82509086 Fax: +86-(0)10-82509086