[R] Options for viewing / using results from lm

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Sep 23 22:26:18 CEST 2008

You can do things like this pseudocode:

> fit1 <- lm( y ~ x1, data=mydata )
> fit2 <- lm( y ~ x2, data=mydata )
> fit3 <- lm( y ~ x1*x2, data=mydata )

> mydata$r1 <- resid(fit1)
> mydata$r2 <- resid(fit2)
> mydata$r3 <- resid(fit3)

Or

> mydata <- cbind(mydata, r1=resid(fit1), r2=resid(fit2), ...

To view the data in a spreadsheet like table:

> View(mydata)

And scroll over to the r columns, using indexing or the subset function can reorder the columns to make this easier.

A simple plot:

> pairs( mydata[ , paste('r',1:10, sep='')], col=c('red','green','blue')[ mydata$g1 ],
+ panel=panel.smooth )

Or there are various other ways to explore the data within R.  If you really feel the need to use another tool, do like the above, then use write.table to export it to a csv file or paste it to a spreadsheet.   There is also the rggobi package which will automate the exporting to the ggobi program which allows a lot more visualization options.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center