[R] Manage huge database

José E. Lozano lozalojo at jcyl.es
Tue Sep 23 08:36:18 CEST 2008

Hello:

I've been reading all the replies, and I think I have some good ideas to
work on.

Right now the code I programmed is running, It has been running in a batch
process 20h now, and It has imported 1750 rows out of 2000. I will read docs
for the bioconductor package, and I will check the gawk option, as well as I
will try (time consuming I guess) to transform variables in text format to
numbers, and other options I have just read.

I appreciate all ideas and hints, I've programmed time-consuming quite
complex programs but I've never programmed one just for a simple task as to
read a file.

Finally, unfortunately I work on a 32bit Windows XP machine, so neither
Linux or 64bit Windows... :-)

Thanks for your help,
Jose Lozano

Jose E. Lozano Alonso
Observatorio de Salud Pública.
Direccion General de Salud Pública e I+D+I.
Junta de Castilla y León.
Direccion: Paseo de Zorrilla, nº1. Despacho 3103. CP 47071. Valladolid.