[R] R-2.7.2 infected?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Sep 23 05:41:03 CEST 2008

Dave DeBarr wrote:
> I tried downloading R-2.7.2 (http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/windows/base/R-2.7.2-win32.exe, both from Berkeley and cran) and both times I got a warning from Computer Associates eTrust Antivirus (version 7.1.710) that the Win32/Adclicker.JO trojan was detected:
> The Win32/Adclicker.JO was detected in C:\USERS\USER\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\LOW\CONTENT.IE5\61HAYRTG\R-2.7.2-WIN32[1].EXE.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?
You're the first to report it, and 2.7.2 has been out for almost a
month, so I think it's likely that the CRAN copy is uninfected.  Did you
check the md5 checksum on it?  It matches on the original, so if it
doesn't match at your end, you've got a bad download.

If it matches and you still get the virus checker reporting, please let
me know the details about that infection, and I'll try to do a manual
inspection for it.

Duncan Murdoch