[R] Why isn't R recognising integers as numbers?

Ted Byers r.ted.byers at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 04:09:29 CEST 2008

Thanks Marc,

That was it.

For the last 30 years, I'd write my own code, in FORTRAN, C++, or even Java,
to do whatever statistical analysis I needed.  When at the office, sometimes
I could use SAS, but that hasn't been an option for me in years.

This is the first time I have had to load real data into R (instead of
generating random data to use while playing with some of the stats
functions, or manually typing dummy data).

I take it, then, that the result of loading data is a data frame, and not
just a matrix or array.  Using something like "refdata18[, 1]" feels rather
alien, but I'm sure I'll quickly get used to it.  I'd seen it before in the
R docs, but it didn't register that I had to use it to get the functions of
most interest to me to recognise my data as a vector of numbers, given I'd
provided only a vector of integers as input.

Thanks

Ted