[R] how to keep up with R?

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Sep 19 07:24:36 CEST 2008

On 19/09/2008, at 5:01 PM, Wensui Liu wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>
> I've been a big fan of R since graduate school. After working in the
> industry for years, I haven't had many opportunities to use R and
> am mainly
> using SAS.

	My most extreme sympathies and condolences!

> However, I am still forcing myself really hard to stay close to R

	You have to *force* yourself???

> by reading R-help and books and writing R code by myself for fun.
> But by and
> by, I start realizing I have hard time to keep up with R and am
> afraid that
> I would totally forget how to program in R.
>
> I really like it and am very unwilling to give it up. Is there any
> idea how
> I might keep touch with R without using it in work on daily basis?
> I really
> appreciate it.

To me, using R is like riding a bicycle.  Once you learn, you never
forget!

Actually that comparison is inappropriate in my case; such are my
bicycling skills that I am much more likely to forget how to ride a
bicycle than I am to forget how to use R.

Of course one forgets *details*.  But those are just details.  And
help.search() + RSiteSearch() will almost always recover those details
for you.  If they don't, just ask R-help(), perhaps after putting on
your asbestos suit.

	cheers,

		Rolf Turner