[R] unix-type commandline keystrokes in the windows RGUI

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Sep 17 18:42:22 CEST 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 9:26 AM, mfrumin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am generally quite fond of the unix commandline keystrokes (e.g.
> searching
> back in your history with [CTRL]-R, and cutting/pasting with [CTRL]-
> K/Y)
> which work in the R commandline in *nix.  Does anyone know if
> there's any
> way to get similar functionality in the Windows RGUI?
>
> I know that as of now, [CTRL]-A and -E do the same as unix
> (beginning and
> end of line) and [CTRL]-Y does a paste, but [CTRL]-K crops from the
> cursor
> to the end of the line but doesn't put the text into the clipboard.
> the
> most important thing I want is the [CTRL]-R functionality which is
> so poorly
> approximated by pressing the up arrow a million times.
>
> I've searched on the archives and didn't find anything about this.
> Any
> thoughts?

My memory from using RGUI in Windows is that <up-arrow> provided that
functionality. I do not remember needing to do any special set-up to
get that behavior.

It is mentioned on p2 of
<http://www.wcsmalaysia.org/stats/PDF/Starting_R.pdf>
.... so I think my memory is still working.

--
David Winsemius
Heritage Laboratories