[R] Blank certain areas of a contour plot

Victor Homar victor.homar at uib.cat
Tue Sep 16 17:53:39 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm interpolating a list of syncronous accumulated precipitation
observations collected over a number of raingauge stations sited over
land, over a regular lat/lon grid using akima's interp().

Then, I plot and locate geographycally the resulting field with a
filled.contour() and a call to map(). Everything is fine but I need to
"blank" (in Golden Surfer nomenclature) the areas of my domain that lay
over the sea, as I do not have observations there and structures are
completely artificial.

Is there any function out there that can use the mapsdata database to
"blank" the sea areas of my plot?
Otherwise, can anybody think of a shortcut to get a similar effect on
the final map (not showing the interpolated precipitation areas over the
sea?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Víctor.

Víctor Homar Santaner
Grup de Meteorologia

Edif. Mateu Orfila                      Tel: +34 971 17 1376
Universitat de les Illes Balears        Fax: +34 971 17 3426
07122 Palma de Mallorca (SPAIN)         Email: Victor.Homar at uib.es

              Knowledge is contagious. Infect truth.